Applications for the Virginia Tech Online MBA program are submitted electronically through the Virginia Tech Graduate School application system. The full application process takes about an hour to complete. You may save entered information and return to the application system at your own pace.
To complete and submit your application, the following application materials are required:
- Completed online application form
- Current resume
- A scanned copy of official transcripts from all universities or colleges, where a degree was conferred
- Virginia Tech alumni do not need to submit official transcripts
- Students with degrees from universities outside the U.S. will need to submit a report from a credential evaluation service and a translation into English if necessary. See additional details below.
- Two letters of recommendation sent electronically
- One essay
- Option One: The global pandemic in 2020-2021 was a collective, shared experience that saw people displaying great acts of kindness and courage yet also brought with it a large division in the United States. What examples of leadership would you cite during that time as being positive contributors to people’s lives and how might you incorporate those traits into your professional life to exemplify the Virginia Tech motto, Ut Prosim, That I May Serve? (300 words)
- Option Two: InclusiveVT is a commitment to a more just and inclusive world, starting at Virginia Tech. What have you learned or experienced about inclusion and diversity over the last year? Describe an effort or action you have taken as a leader to help create a welcoming and affirming place at work or within your community. (300 words) skills, and your leadership style, as a result of COVID-19?
- Optional statement
- Please feel free to submit a statement that includes any additional information you believe would be helpful to the committee regarding your academic or professional history. This may include an explanation of academic issues, employment gaps, or to highlight academic, personal, or professional accomplishments that will strengthen your application.
- 2-minute video
- Please submit a two-minute video in which you tell us something about yourself or your experiences that we would not learn from reviewing your other application materials. A video produced via mobile phone is sufficient.
- Academic and professional goals statement (as required for all Virginia Tech graduate students)
- Applicants are asked to provide a 1 - 2 page, double-spaced personal statement that adresses why you are pursuing a graduate degree, why at Virginia Tech, and why now.
- TOEFL, if necessary
- A non-refundable $75 application fee
After an initial review of your completed application, you may be invited to a 20-minute interview via Zoom with the Director of MBA Programs
Please note that GMAT/GRE test scores are not required to apply to the Online MBA program.
CREATING AN ACCOUNT
- Go to the Graduate School application system site
- Click the 'Create a New Account' link. Once you confirm your email address, you will receive another email with a temporary passcode.
- Login with your email and temporary passcode
- You will be prompted to create a new passphrase
- Fill in the name fields to finalize your account set up
STARTING YOUR APPLICATION
To start your application:
- Login to the Graduate School application system site with your email address and the passphrase you created
- Click the 'Start New Application' link at the bottom of your home screen
- Select your application term
- Select your application type — Most applicants will select 'Degree Seeking' unless they are applying to be readmitted to the program. Please contact us if you are not sure which application type you are.
- Click the 'Create Application' button
- Click the 'Open Application' button
COMPLETING YOUR APPLICATION
Once you open your application, you will see there are multiple sections to complete. Please fill out the fields as instructed in the application. Additional information for some sections is included below:
- International applicants must apply using their legal name exactly as it appears on their passport
- Returning VT Students must supply your VT student ID number (PID)
- The Online MBA has a universal tuition rate, so Virginia residents do not need to submit the in-state tuition questionnaire
Program of Study:
- Select 'Business Administration' from the 'Program' dropdown
- Select 'Online MBA' from the 'Program Option' dropdown
- Select 'MBA' from the 'Degree Type' dropdown
- Check the 'Virtual' box for your campus
- Select your term of study — You may need to click the 'Continue' button and come back to the 'Program of Study' section to select your term. If you do not see the term options, please ensure that all information has been entered into the 'Domicile Information' section.
RETURNING TO YOUR APPLICATION
- Go to the Graduate School application system site
- Login with your email address and the passphrase you created
- Click the link for the application you want to return to
SUBMITTING YOUR APPLICATION
- Click the 'Review' section to ensure that all required fields have been filled out
- Submit your application
- Pay the non-refundable application fee ($75) — If you received an application fee waiver code or are eligible for one as a military/veteran student, please be sure to enter this information in the 'Financial Assistance' section before submitting your application.
Your application cannot be reviewed until your letters of recommendation are received. We encourage you to send the email requesets to your recommenders through the application system as soon as possible. This can be done before your application is submitted.
Applicants who are accepted for admission and intend to enroll will need to send an official transcript(s) showing conferral of their degree(s) to the MBA Program Office at:
Virginia Tech - Northern Virginia Center
MBA Program Office - Suite 341
7054 Haycock Rd.
Falls Church, VA 22043
- Students with undergraduate degrees from universities outside the U.S. should also submit a report from a credential evaluation service that converts grades into a grade point average (GPA) with a course by course break down of their degree. The university will accept evaluations done by any credentialing agency listed on the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services web site http://www.naces.org/members.html
- TOEFL scores are required of all international students whose first language is not English, except those applicants who have graduated from an accredited university where English is the language of instruction
- For additional information on the TOEFL exam, please visit http://www.ets.org/toefl/
- Additional information for international graduate students can be found on the Cranwell International Center site